(Also see the first section: “For All Life Sciences’ Community”)
- ♥ UCLA Center for Education Innovation and Learning in the Sciences (CEILS) provides education tools and assessment resources instructors need to engage in effective, validated teaching practices that promote student learning, and create inclusive and culturally-responsive classrooms. CEILS fosters the professional development and training of faculty who wish to incorporate evidence-based teaching approaches into their courses. We HIGHLY recommend CEILS training programs for all instructors who teach undergraduate courses.
- ♥ Strategies for Cultivating Inclusive Classrooms; Understanding Implicit Bias and Stereotype Threat; and STEM Outcomes at UCLA (CEILS Teaching Guide)
- ♥ UCLA’s Entering Mentoring Program– teaches graduate students, post-docs and faculty skills in effective mentoring to help retain undergraduates in STEM fields. While graduate students and post-docs are encouraged to enroll in this program, this program also welcomes faculty. It provides great ideas and training to ensure that undergraduates who work in their labs come out with the most successful research experience possible.
- Society for the Advancement of Biology Education Research: Inclusion in Academic Biology Lectures– this six-part lecture series provided the subjects for discussion in Life Sciences Dialogues to promote awareness, understanding, and a commitment to create a more welcoming and inclusive academic environment.
- Inclusive Language Guidelines (American Psychological Association)
- Reassess–Realign–Reimagine: A Guide for Mentors Pivoting to Remote Research Mentoring
- Culturally aware mentorship: Lasting impacts of a novel intervention on academic administrators and faculty – CAM Training coming soon for LS Faculty 2022
- UgC (Academic Senate) Syllabus Recommendations (includes suggestions for supporting student well-being, Title IX, financial resources, CAE, how to create an inclusive classroom)
- Things Life Sciences faculty can do to promote DEI at UCLA
- 12 Evidence-Based DEI Best Practices for Advancing Faculty Diversity
- “Contributions to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion” for hiring and promotion at UCLA
- Faculty and Staff Counseling Center
- Resources for Racial Trauma
- Mindful Awareness Research Center (MARC) offers mindfulness meditation classes, workshops, and free online guided meditations that can help students, staff, and faculty reduce stress and relax.
- LGBT Resource Center provides a comprehensive range of education and advocacy services supporting intersectional identity development, well-being, in an open, safe, and inclusive environment for UCLA’s LGBTQ community.
- OMBUDS Services helps UCLA community (students, faculty, staff and administrators) with assistance in resolving conflicts, disputes or complaints on an informal basis.
- Evening Escorts Community Service Officer escorts are available free of charge to walk with students, faculty, staff or visitors 365 days a year from dusk until 1 a.m. between campus buildings, local living areas or Westwood Village. T: (310) 794-WALK (9255)
- Safe Ride Service UCLA Safe Ride provides a safe means of transportation around campus during the evening hours. The service is free of charge and available to all UCLA students, staff, faculty and visitors, Monday through Thursday, from 6:00 pm–11:00 pm T: (310) 825-1493